Australian Consulate-General
New York
United States of America

Services for Australians

Services for Australians overseas

Emergency assistance

Emergency helpline

24 Hour Consular Emergency Centre: 1300 555 135 within Australia (local call cost) or +61 2 6261 3305 from outside Australia.

Assisting Australians overseas - identifies what we can and can not do to assist you.

DFAT’s Consular Privacy Collection Statement can be accessed at


Apply for a passport online

Special requirements when applying for a passport at the Consulate/Embassy in country

Additional instructions for passport applications

Travelling or moving overseas

Travel advice and hints

Get the latest travel advisories and other traveller hints from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

On-line registration for Australians overseas

We encourage use of this service by Australians planning to reside overseas for extended periods, and those travelling to locations where there are security risks.

E-3 Visas for the United States


The United States E-3 visa classification applies exclusively to nationals of Australia and enables them to live and work in the United States in a specialty occupation for a period of 2 years at a time.

Each year 10,500 E-3 visas are available and may be renewed indefinitely providing the principal applicant continues to meet the visa eligibility criteria. Spouses and children of the principal applicant may also be included in E-3 visa applications (spouses and children are not required to be Australian nationals).


To be eligible for an E3 visa, the principal applicant must:

  • Be an Australian Citizen (you must hold an Australian passport);
  • Have a University Degree deemed equivalent to at least a US Bachelor's Degree or 12 years of relevant work experience or a qualifying combination of education and experience; and
  • Have an offer of employment that typically requires a Bachelor's Degree in your area of study.

Although there is no definitive list of specialty occupations eligible for the E-3 visa, a useful general guide for applicants to check if their occupation might be considered a graduate specialty profession is the Occupational Information Network website O*NET Online.

More Information

Useful links

Notarial services

If you need a Consular Officer to provide certified copies of documents or to witness your signature on a document you can make an appointment to visit the Consulate. Appointments are available Fridays between 9.30am - 1pm and 2pm – 4pm and fees are charged depending on the service you require.

US based clients must book via our online appointment booking system. Appointments can be booked, rescheduled and cancelled online. Non US based applicants must call the Consulate to obtain an appointment.

Click here to book an appointment


Voting while overseas

You can find information relating to being overseas at election time on the Australian Electoral Commission’s website

Moving to Australia

Gateway to information about Australian benefits, payments and services 

Taking cats and dogs to Australia

Returning to Australia

Information for Australians or residents returning from a holiday or moving back to Australia