How to apply for an Australian passport
All Australian citizens must lodge their passport application in person via a scheduled appointment. We cannot accept applications by mail or courier. This helps us protect you, by protecting the security and integrity of your Australian passport.
Before booking an appointment, please complete your application form and read through the detailed instructions, including fee information and photo guidelines. If you have further questions after reviewing this information you can call us on 212-351-6500.
US-based applicants can book, reschedule and cancel appointments online via the button below. Non-US based applicants can call us to book an appointment.
- The Australian Consulate-General New York accepts passport appointments Monday – Thursday from 9am – 4.30pm.
- Please note the Consulate is closed on some public holidays.
- Please ensure Australian date format is used on all passport application forms DD/MM/YYYY.
- Incomplete applications, incorrect applications and applications missing supporting documentation cannot be accepted and will need to be re-lodged. This applies to all applicants, including those who live a considerable distance from New York.
- All passport applications have to be lodged in person via a scheduled appointment, we no longer accept applications by mail or courier.
- For children, applications must be lodged in person by a parent and if the child is aged 16 - 17 they must also attend the interview.
- A set surcharge for overseas processing now applies - $100 AUD for adult passports and $50 AUD for child passports.